Sitiawan... and CNY
Was reading through Krystin's blog when I came across a word in her example of an obscure place. For the record it's Sitiawan with an 'i' and not an 'e'. It should be spelt Setiawan though.. cos it came from the phrase Setia Kawan. Story has it that it was about 2 elephants that were faithful friends, and how they helped each other when one was stuck in the mud. If someone knows the actual story maybe they can validate this.
Sitiawan probably is quite obscure. It had a cinema but closed down. It has a KFC though! The food there isn't as terrific as Penang's but you can sure get some weird stuff there that can't be found elsewhere.
As obscure as it may be, today Sitiawan will be ringing in my heart. For the first time in 25 years I will not be in Sitiawan to celebrate CNY. For the past 25 years I've spent my CNY there eating, sleeping, gambling, shady-ing and collecting angpow. My mom is a pure Sitiawan Foo Chow damsel and for many years Sitiawan was like my 2nd home. There was this year when I actually arrived in Penang from Melb on CNY's eve morning and rushed back straightaway.. full luggage and all. It's a shame to hafta break my record and set it at 25 years. Oh well, at least 25 sounds 'round'. Unlike 26 or 27.
Oh well, at least I know the red wine chicken I'm cooking tonite will remind me of Sitiawan and my CNY reunion meals. At least I know I won't be overeating during CNY this year. =) But AIYO! NO ANG POW!
Do I miss Sitiawan this time round? I'd have to say YES. I hope to be able to make it for CNY again one day in Sitiawan, and meet up with Tze San there. Haha.
To all of you Cina peks reading this, have a massively happy Chinese New Year. Year of the Rooster or Chicken, or whatever. May God bless this coming year and give you golden eggs. Take time to think about your family back home and call them to say you're having loads of fun. =)
WillZ
p.s. Say HI to the jams in Penang for me. KL-ites, GO HOME!
Sitiawan probably is quite obscure. It had a cinema but closed down. It has a KFC though! The food there isn't as terrific as Penang's but you can sure get some weird stuff there that can't be found elsewhere.
As obscure as it may be, today Sitiawan will be ringing in my heart. For the first time in 25 years I will not be in Sitiawan to celebrate CNY. For the past 25 years I've spent my CNY there eating, sleeping, gambling, shady-ing and collecting angpow. My mom is a pure Sitiawan Foo Chow damsel and for many years Sitiawan was like my 2nd home. There was this year when I actually arrived in Penang from Melb on CNY's eve morning and rushed back straightaway.. full luggage and all. It's a shame to hafta break my record and set it at 25 years. Oh well, at least 25 sounds 'round'. Unlike 26 or 27.
Oh well, at least I know the red wine chicken I'm cooking tonite will remind me of Sitiawan and my CNY reunion meals. At least I know I won't be overeating during CNY this year. =) But AIYO! NO ANG POW!
Do I miss Sitiawan this time round? I'd have to say YES. I hope to be able to make it for CNY again one day in Sitiawan, and meet up with Tze San there. Haha.
To all of you Cina peks reading this, have a massively happy Chinese New Year. Year of the Rooster or Chicken, or whatever. May God bless this coming year and give you golden eggs. Take time to think about your family back home and call them to say you're having loads of fun. =)
WillZ
p.s. Say HI to the jams in Penang for me. KL-ites, GO HOME!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home