Tommy is my friend...
Went for the Tommy Emmanuel concert yesterday. Believe it or not, I can't believe I went! I got home, sat down, and realised I couldn't comprehend the fact that I actually watched the man himself perform live.
The evening opened with him walking up and not needing to introduce himself. Ppl just started clapping. He introduced his opening act friend, Clive Carroll and the night kicked off. Clive played for like 30 minutes, trying to convince us he could play the guitar. I guess he could, and pretty darn good too. Clive is from the UK, so naturally his playing was more irish and folkish. We thought he was good... until...
Mr Emmanuel took the stage. Oh man, he walked up with his guitar and let his guitar do the talking. I was sitting there.. and I could do was smile at his playing like a lil boy, full of admiration. Clive was good ok, but his music just couldn't haf the same effect dat Tommy's had.
His show was then on for like 3 hours. It just feels so weird, a concert hall full of admirers, watching this guy with a spotlight shining on him, playing on only one instrument. He played Blue Moon to introduce his band, =) his bassist, then his drummer, his rhythm fella and finally his lead guitarist. One whole band on 2 hands which had 5 fingers on each.
At one point he was playing and he asked us what day it was... I and hundreds of other humans in the audience were lost for like maybe 5 seconds, trying to recall what day it was. He was THAT mesmerising. You get transported from reality into this world of enveloping music. Learned a lil bit more of his life as he shared too.
No words or description can tell you of my whole experience. The most valuable lesson I learned that night was this - if Tommy Emmanuel ever has another concert, don't be an idiot and miss it.
WillZ
The evening opened with him walking up and not needing to introduce himself. Ppl just started clapping. He introduced his opening act friend, Clive Carroll and the night kicked off. Clive played for like 30 minutes, trying to convince us he could play the guitar. I guess he could, and pretty darn good too. Clive is from the UK, so naturally his playing was more irish and folkish. We thought he was good... until...
Mr Emmanuel took the stage. Oh man, he walked up with his guitar and let his guitar do the talking. I was sitting there.. and I could do was smile at his playing like a lil boy, full of admiration. Clive was good ok, but his music just couldn't haf the same effect dat Tommy's had.
His show was then on for like 3 hours. It just feels so weird, a concert hall full of admirers, watching this guy with a spotlight shining on him, playing on only one instrument. He played Blue Moon to introduce his band, =) his bassist, then his drummer, his rhythm fella and finally his lead guitarist. One whole band on 2 hands which had 5 fingers on each.
At one point he was playing and he asked us what day it was... I and hundreds of other humans in the audience were lost for like maybe 5 seconds, trying to recall what day it was. He was THAT mesmerising. You get transported from reality into this world of enveloping music. Learned a lil bit more of his life as he shared too.
No words or description can tell you of my whole experience. The most valuable lesson I learned that night was this - if Tommy Emmanuel ever has another concert, don't be an idiot and miss it.
WillZ
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home