<body>

MealZ on WillZ

food for thought : haf sum wholesome home-cooked mealz...

Friday, December 24, 2004

Blessed Christmas...

It's Christmas eve and I'm sitting at home, not going out at all. Just had home-cooked pasta for dinner. What was my brother thinking?? haha.. I think I've had enough pasta for the whole duration of 2004. Wanted to watch New Police Story. Now I just gotta find where that VCD is.

My brother has A LOT of VCDs. He's almost like a peddler. You don't have to believe me, cos it really is unbelievable. Good thing I've had my fair share of downloaded movies this year, if not I'd b watching more movies per day than I already am. Back for 4 days and I've clocked 4 movies..

Shutter
Ocean's 12
The Incredibles
Be$t Bet


The Incredibles is incredible. Haha. I think I like the movie a lot. It has no flaws. Even its dialogue sounded real, you know.. like how they argued at home. It's definitely one of the top animated movies I've seen. And it's cute in a non-feminine way.

Oh, why am I home on Christmas eve you may ask. WELL, if you're in Penang now, the correct question would be "WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU OUT?!". It's crazy out there! Traffic jams practically everywhere! Gurney Drive is a killer. Pulau Tikus is sickening. I don't even dare try the other parts of the island. I've got a friend stuck on the Penang Bridge now. If there's one advice I can give to ppl coming to Penang for a holiday during festive seasons, it's DON'T COME. I was suddenly made aware of how phobic being stuck in a Penang jam can be, was stuck in front of Gurney Plaza for quite a while.

The worst is during Chinese New Year. Penang probably has the most Chinese compared to the other states. Ppl from KL, Ipoh and all over the world come back to their hometowns. Those of you who know Penang, I've seen a queue that was from the Peng Hwa (PCGHS - Penang Chinese Girls' High School) junction right up to the Vale Of Tempe winding road. That's... pretty long. And I believe from Peng Hwa onwards there were jams toward all directions. Imagine if you're rushing for a flight at the airport. Ya, maybe KL has terrible jams as well, but do you know how small Penang is? Summore ar there's no public transport. Everyone gets everywhere on their personal vehicles - be it cars, vans, motorcycles, bicycles, buses, lorries and tanks.

Therefore, I'm stuck in Tanjong Bungah tonight. With no friends. Maybe I should go sit on the beach by myself, since it's like only 5-10 minutes drive from my place. But then maybe got JAM! URGH!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another fact about food in Penang. The amount of coffee shops and food outlets it has should be in the Guiness Book of Records. In Pulau Tikus itself, there are EIGHT japanese restaurants. You can find something to eat every 50 metres. If you gave me a Penang map and asked me to mark every hawker stall with a red pen, the whole island would be red. If you randomly threw a stone into a crowd, the chances are you'll be able to knock a hawker fella out. I think there's an obsession with food here, but Penangites have it too deeply rooted in their daily lives that they do not notice how fanatical it looks to other ppl. Even my last few posts were about Penang food. I need professional help.

Oh btw, I just had Wan Tan Mee today, and also Ban Jian Koay. Was talking to my brother about the best Wan Tan Mee we've ever tasted in our lives. The Ah Pek used to sell behind FIMA, near Swatow Lane there. A few years back the coffee shop decided to wrap up its business so this Ah Pek had to stop selling. Every person that eats there says it's HO LIAU!! (very goot)

When we go ar, we order the XL one - only RM1.60 then! Normal Wan Tan Mee that you guys would order is ji liap (one ball of the noodles). Hungrier ones will order the big one rite? It's called Nor liap (2 balls), also called ma lau (in canto). The ones we have is sar liap (3 balls)! That's XL! And each of us also order a bowl of wan tan with soup to go with it.

We brought a friend there last time, he finished the sar liap one and wanted another bowl of the same! EE SI SIAU LIAU EH LA! (He is crazy liau one la!) BTW, i told some of you bout him before.. he's the guy that makan 7 bowls of rice after he got out of hospital for an appendicitis op.. after which his stomach bulged and he discovered a stretch on his stitched wound, with a tiny bit of blood. SICKO.

Was tempted to have a bowl of ice kacang as I walked past Swatow Lane today, but I was rushing to meet my mom at the supermart. Had a not so nice 99 cent Ramly burger too. Its standard wasn't really up to par so I've not striken it off my to-eat list yet.

Gimme something to do please.


WillZ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home